Items of Interest:
Fed to Supply $1.2 Trillion to Economy
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System:
Press Release - For immediate release — Information received since the Federal Open Market Committee met in January indicates that the economy continues to contract. Job losses, declining equity and housing wealth, and tight credit conditions have weighed on consumer sentiment and spending...
discussion:Larry Kudlow / The Corner: Shock & Awe Meets the Four Prosperity KillersCalculated Risk: FOMC: Buy $300 Billion in Long Term Treasuries, More MBS
Neil Irwin / Washington Post:
Myglesias / Matthew Yglesias: Quantitave EasingChris Bowers / Open Left: Federal Reserve Bank Circumvents Congressional Approval for More BailoutsRichard Fernandez / Pajamas Media: The Big Time — A trillion here, a trillion there; pretty soon you're talking real money.
Massimo Calabresi / Time:
Sudeep Reddy / Real Time Economics: Live-Blogging the AIG Hearing: Ed Liddy In the Dunk TankTom Maguire / JustOneMinute: What Did Geithner Not Know And When Did He Not Know It?John Carney / Clusterstock: Did Geithner Lie?Chris Cillizza / The Fix: White House Cheat Sheet: Cleaning Up the AIG MessJennifer Rubin / Commentary: Dodd Spills The BeansJustin Fox / The Curious Capitalist: Time to get Tim Geithner a Bloomberg terminal. Oh, wait, he already has oneAllahpundit / Hot Air: Time magazine: Treasury knew about AIG bonuses 10 days sooner than thoughtElana Schor / TPMDC: Report: Treasury Knew About AIG Bonuses Earlier Than Geithner Claims
discussion:Ed Morrissey / Hot Air: Video: Kanjorski slams Obama administrationKate Phillips / The Caucus: Watching the A.I.G. Hearing on the HillThomas L. Friedman / New York Times: Obama's Real TestHans Nichols / Bloomberg: Obama May Find Anger Over AIG Bonuses Backfires on His AgendaSerena Ng / Wall Street Journal: Hedge Funds May Get AIG CashCyra Master / The Atlantic Business Channel: He's At It Again — CEO Edward Liddy at the congressional hearing …DownWithTyranny!: Edward Liddy— Longtime Corporate Criminal Spins One In Today's PostMichelle Malkin: Liveblogging the public flogging: Liddy and the indignant enablers …Marisa McQuilken / The BLT: Morning Wrap — AIG's Liddy Speaks: AIG's chief executive …Jim Kuhnhenn / Associated Press: AIG chief to defend bonuses before Congress todayFaiz Shakir / Think Progress: In Nov. 2008, AIG's Liddy claimed top execs would forego pay raises …
discussion:Glenn Thrush / Glenn Thrush's Blog: Dodd: I worked on AIG provisionKim Priestap / Wizbang: Fox News' Shepard Smith Pounds Democrats for Their Role in the AIG Bonus Debacle
AIG: Why the Government Shouldn't Run Anything
Baseline Scenario: The $165 Million That Broke the Camel's Back?
Lymari Morales / Gallup:
Outraged Americans Want AIG Bonus Money Recovered
BREAKING: Gingrich Calls on Obama to End Bailouts
discussion:Lee Fang / Think Progress: Republican Lawmakers Who Opposed Salary Caps Last Month Are Now …Steve M. / No More Mister Nice Blog: AIG IS TO RIGHTIES' ECONOMIC THEORIES WHAT GEORGE W. BUSH …
AIG staff: We deserve this money
discussion:Julie Hirschfeld Davis / Associated Press: Washington knew AIG was preparing to pay bonusesAndrew Sullivan / The Daily Dish: AIG To US: Drop DeadFrank James / The Swamp: AIG CEO: bonuses meant to save company, economyCNNMoney.com: AIG asks execs to return bonusesNew York Times: Outcry Builds for Recovery of A.I.G. BonusesJay Newton-Small / Time: The AIG Bonuses: Getting Mad and Getting EvenWashington Post: White House Calls Bonuses a Late SurpriseThe Politico: AIG CEO: ‘High point of public anger’Tahman Bradley / Political Punch: Obama Administration: We Didn't Find Out About AIG Bonuses Until This MonthRoy Edroso / Runnin' Scared: Congressmen Beat Up AIG and Geithner, Make Weird JokesHoward Schweber / The Huffington Post: AIG, Populist Rage, and the Future of Banks
discussion:Arianna Huffington / The Huffington Post: A Disturbing D.C. WhodunitChris Bowers / Open Left: How Geithner's Bailout Plan Created The AIG Bonus Scandal
Will Obama, McCain, Dodd Return Contributions From AIG Employees? –
discussion:Lindsey Ellerson / The Note: Dems Support Geithner — for NowFlap / FullosseousFlap's Dental Blog: Will Obama, McCain and Dodd Return Political contributions form AIG Employees?Steve Verdon / Outside The Beltway: Don't Pay Your Mortgage — It's a sucker's game if you can …
A.I.G. Chief Expected to Offer Bonus Compromise
discussion:Ali Frick / Think Progress: Liddy: Bernanke and the Federal Reserve approved of bonuses in advance.Washington Post: AIG Firestorm Raises Alarm For Other FirmsTheInDecider / Indecision Forever: That's Puzzling!: Headline Anagrams, March 18thRandyj / TIME.com: Liddy's Compromise — Embattled AIG chief tells lawmakers …Pat G. / Wonk Room: AIG CEO Liddy: Chairman Bernanke And The Federal Reserve Approved Of BonusesSteve Benen / Washington Monthly: HALF?.... This seems unlikely to work. … For one thing …Conor Clarke / The Atlantic Business Channel: The AIG compromise: a glass half full?
Just over 11% of global containership fleet unemployed -- JUST over 11% or 434 ships in the global containership fleet are currently unemployed.
The latest Alphaliner statistics showed that an additional 31 ships have been placed in lay-up since March 2.
Alphaliner said numbers of idle ships were still growing, but at a slower pace...
- Geithner & Obama Dither as the Bank Bailout Burns - Robert Reich
- Obama Must Discharge His Economic Commanders - Steve Forbes, Forbes
- Wall Street's Dangerous Refusal To Learn - Steven Pearlstein, Wash Post
- The Terminator Comes to Wall Street - Joseph Fuller, American Scholar
- The Crisis' Top Five Phony Scapegoats - William Cohan, The Daily Beast
- Needed: A Bailout That Doesn't Look Like One - Holman Jenkins, WSJ
- Is Nouriel Roubini Just a One-Hit Wonder? - Helaine Olen, Portfolio
- Insight into the World of Bizarro Keynesianism - Jack Schwager, FT
- Finance Is Broke But We Ain't Fixin' It - Lynn Tilton, TheStreet.com
- Can Hedge Funds Survive By Charging Less? - Matthew Lynn, Bloomberg
- Debunking the Banking Rally - Steven Sears, Barron's
- 8 Firms With Surprisingly Strong Earnings - Jack Hough, SmartMoney
- Reform the Architecture of Regulation - Henry Paulson, Financial Times
- Financial Journalists Fail Upward - Thomas Frank, Wall Street Journal
- Economists Totally Missed The Crisis - Richard Rahn, Washington Times
- Cities, College Grads and the Inequality Gap - Steven Malanga, RCM
- Paying Workers To Fix Their Own Mess - David Leonhardt, New York Times
- Our Mission to Safeguard AIG's Future - Edward Liddy, Washington Post
- Goldman Sachs's AIG Double Dip? - James Keller, RealClearMarkets
- Do the Rich Deserve Their Bad Press? - James Stewart, SmartMoney
- Should Bailed-Out Homeowners Pay Restitution? - Stan Liebowitz, IBD
- This Stock Rally Is Built On Empty Chatter - David Reilly, Bloomberg
- What Is So Good About Free Trade? - Jamie Whyte, Times of London
- Why Do People Make Market Forecasts? - E. Elfenbein, Crossing Wall Street
- Wall Street Rallies On; S&P 500 Now Is Up 15% from Its Low - Money & Co.
- Saving The World Economy Should Be Affordable - Martin Wolf, FT
- A Bottom in Housing Starts vs. Bottom in Housing Prices - Calculated Risk