Items of Interest:
Andrew Malcolm / Top of the Ticket:
Full text of Obama's speech to Congress and the nation — Here is the text of President Obama's first address to a joint session of Congress, as released by the White House moments ago: — Madame Speaker, Mr. Vice President, Members of Congress, and the First Lady of the United States:
discussion:Ann Althouse / Althouse: Obama's address to Congress... the live-blog.Joe Gandelman / The Moderate Voice: Did Obama's Budget Speech Define Him As Left Of Center? (UPDATED)Tom Maguire / JustOneMinute: Post Game ShowDan / Riehl World View: An Oba-Oops, Or Just a Lie? — Um, I nodded off and missed …Kate Phillips / The Caucus: Live Blog: Obama's Address to CongressCernig / Newshoggers.com: The Sound Of Republican Sphincters PuckeringMatt Welch / Reason: Speech Highlights? I've Got TwoDonald Douglas / American Power: Obama's State of the UnionTigerHawk: What regulations were gutted?
discussion:Think Progress: Obama Takes Jab At Bush Policies: 'A Surplus Became An Excuse …Digby / Hullabaloo: The Speech
discussion:Lorie Byrd / Wizbang: Jindal Review — I didn't watch the SOTU, but caught Bobby Jindal's response.PoliticalBase.com Blog: Governor Jindal: Jingoist ExtraordinaireGateway Pundit: Bobby Jindal Rocks: “We Believe Americans Can Do Anything”
discussion:Todd Beeton / MyDD: The Battle Over Who Loves America MoreGod & Country: Bobby Jindal, Catholic, Draws the Same “Secret Muslim” …David Weigel / The Washington Independent: Bobby Speaks — The Republican National Committee has started putting …Allahpundit / Hot Air: Open thread: Synthesis of Jesus, Lincoln, Reagan, and FDR …
Case-Shiller: House Prices Decline Sharply in December -- Prices are still falling, and will probably continue to fall for some time...
In Phoenix, house prices have declined more than 45% from the peak. At the other end of the spectrum, prices in Charlotte and Dallas are only off about 9% from the peak.
Prices fell at least 1% in all Case-Shiller cities in December, with Phoenix off 5.1% for the month alone! ...
On So-Called “Irresponsible” Borrowers – Along with the absurd, Santelli-led revolt of the overclass against efforts to help middle class homeowners, there’s been a larger sense that “reasonable” people can all agree that there’s “plenty of blame to go around” and that on some level “irresponsible borrowers” deserve to take their lumps in all of this. I have my doubts...
discussion:Dday / Hullabaloo: Rep. Conyers On Why We Need Cram-DownMegan McArdle: Asymmetrical information — Over the past few days …
- Ben Bernanke's Bold Predictions - Brian Wingfield, Forbes
- A Plan To Resolve the Banking Crisis - Pratt, Brumbaugh & Espy, TheStreet
- The 'Swensen Plan' on How To Fix The Economy - Marcia Vickers, Fortune
- My Testimony to a Hypothetical Committee - Bill Gross, PIMCO
- So, When Can We Expect The Next Bubble To Pop? - Mark Koba, CNBC
- 5 Ways for Us Chumps To Fight Back - Jim Jubak, MSN Money
- Note to President Obama: Keep On Spending - Robert Reich, Salon
- What Obama Should Tell Leaders of G-20 - Martin Wolf, Financial Times
- Knowing When To Hold and When To Fold - Lawrence Strauss, Barron's
- Entrepreneurs Can Lead Us Out of the Crisis - T. Hayes & M. Malone, WSJ
- Bernie Madoff: The Monster Mensch - Steve Fishman, New York Magazine
- The Disastrous Formula That Killed Wall Street - Felix Salmon, Wired
- U.S. Banks, and the Big Global Screwup - Terence Corcoran, National Post
- A Dollar Saved Is Not a Dollar Hoarded - George Reisman, RealClearMarkets
- Dollar Is the 'Looker' Among Ugly Currencies - Michael Sesit, Bloomberg
- Is the Stimulus Too Big Not To Fail? - James Henry, The Nation
- What Part of Stimulus Doesn't GOP Get? - Editorial, New York Times
- The Economic Growth Imperative - Daren Acemoglu, The American
- 'Buy American', But Only Our Debt? - Editorial, Investor's Business Daily
- Why Mark-to-Market Must Die - Brian Wesbury & Bob Stein, Forbes
- Good Banks Suffer Bad Bank Mistakes - Amy Klobuchar, Washington Post
- Bank Nationalization Isn't the Answer - William Isaac, Wall Street Journal
- William Isaac Compares Apples To Oranges - Barry Ritholtz, Big Picture
- Bank Nationalization: A Truly Awful Idea - John Tamny, RealClearMarkets
- Gold Reaches $1,000 Again: This Time It's Different - Numismaster.com
- Memo to Blackstone: Taking Private Equity Private - Deal Professor
- Forget 12-Year Low. Try a 27-Year Low - Barry Ritholtz, Big Picture
- Chris Dodd and the Plan That Dare Not Speak Its Name - Free Exchange