Items of Interst:
Wall Street Journal:
A 40-Year Wish List — You won't believe what's in that stimulus bill. — “Never let a serious crisis go to waste. What I mean by that is it's an opportunity to do things you couldn't do before.” — So said White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel in November, and Democrats in Congress are certainly taking his advice to heart...
related:Discussion:Hugh Hewitt / Townhall.com: Calling President ObamaEd Morrissey / Hot Air: The Democratic Porkfest Bill of 2009Tom Smith / The Right Coast: Un. F&%$ing. Believable Tom SmithMatt Lewis / Political Machine: Why the ‘Stimulus’ is Bad PolicyTas / Comments from Left Field: Just a bit of complaining... Let me preface this rant with yes, I know we need a bailout.Bill Quick / Daily Pundit: winners take all - please!Robert Stein / The Moderate Voice: Scenes From a Spending SpreeJennifer Rubin / Commentary: How Bad? — Just how bad is the stimulus plan?Donald Douglas / American Power: Democrats to Milk Economic Crisis for TrillionsBernie Quigley / The Hill's Pundits Blog: First Warnings: Is Obama's Historic Train Ride a Train Wreck in the Making?Steve M. / No More Mister Nice Blog: BUT THERE ARE NO BURLY MEN IN HARD HATS RIDING GIRDERS! …Tammy Bruce: THE BIGGEST CRAP SANDWICH IN THE HISTORY OF MANKINDGINA COBB: It's Not a Stimulus Bill (Updated)Frank James / The Swamp: Stimulus a case of haste makes waste?
David Sirota / Open Left:
Tenn. Blue Dog Democrats waver on stimulus package
Obama budget promise wins Blue Dog support
Discussion:DownWithTyranny!: With Infrastructure Crumbling & Economy Reeling, Corrupt …Digby / Hullabaloo: Howlin' Dogs — I hope what dday writes below is true …Big Tent Democrat / TalkLeft: An Acid Test For Obama And The Post Partisan Unity SchtickEd Kilgore / Democratic Strategist: Votes a-Popping — Today the House is scheduled to vote on the economic stimulus package.
related:Discussion:Right Wing News: The Media: Why Trust Them At All?
Josh Marshall / Talking Points Memo:
discussion:Steve Benen / Washington Monthly: HOW WE GOT IN THIS MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE.... Josh Marshall …Dayo Olopade / The XX Factor: “Rule by Republican Hissy Fit”?Elana Schor / TPMDC: GOP's Successful Media Message: This Stimulus Needs to be More Ineffective!
The Politico: Go big or go home — The $825 billion economic stimulus bill …
Obama Says Not a ‘Moment to Spare’ on Stimulus Plan
discussion:Ali Frick / Think Progress: Cantor Continues To Lie About The CBO Analysis Of Recovery BillLee Speigel / Political Punch: House Dems Strip Stimulus of $200 Million Provision to Refurbish National MallBig Tent Democrat / TalkLeft: When Is Triangulation Not Triangulation? — When Obama does it apparently.Lambert / Corrente: Games apologists play
Geithner Sets Limits on Lobbying for Bailout Money -- The new Treasury secretary, Timothy F. Geithner, announced on Tuesday that he would crack down on lobbying to influence the $700 billion financial bailout program by companies that are receiving billions in taxpayer money...
Wall Street Journal:
Geithner's New Chief of Staff is Former Bank Lobbyist -- The new chief of staff to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner was a top lobbyist for Goldman Sachs Group Inc. until last year, and will have to recuse himself from some government duties under new White House ethics rules...
Banks back from the dead as nationalization and cramdown start …
Discussion:Eric Etheridge / The Opinionator: The Bad Bank RallyDavid Cho / Washington Post: Treasury Weighs Hard Choices To Save BanksMike Lillis / The Washington Independent: How Serious is the Obama Administration About Nationalizing Banks?
- Change Is Coming to the Economy--But What Kind? - Kopin Tan, Barron's
- Why Dealing with Huge Debt Is So Difficult - Martin Wolf, Financial Times
- The Stimulus Fight You Should Be Watching - Dan Gerstein, Forbes
- Gold Headed South for the Near Future - Mark Hulbert, MarketWatch
- Why Is The Market So Heavily Focused on Bank Stocks? - Jeff Cox, CNBC
- Citi, BofA Show Investors Can't Bank on Capital - David Reilly, Bloomberg
- Rewriting Rulebook for 21st Century Capitalism - Jeffrey Sachs, Guardian
- What's More, Buffett's Investing Strategy Is Stale - Doug Kass, TheStreet
- A Stimulus With Merit, and Misses Too - David Leonhardt, New York Times
- $646,214 Per Government Job - Alan Reynolds, Wall Street Journal
- Wall Street Is Filled With Zombie Corpses - Daniel Gross, Slate
- Second Thoughts On Free Trade - Harold Meyerson, Washington Post
- Can Free Markets Survive In a Secularized World? - Steven Malanga, RCM
- Don't Let Geithner Comment Ignite Trade War - Guy de Jonquieres, Forbes
- Bonus Bans Are Too Late to Fix Banking - Matthew Lynn, Bloomberg
- Preemptive Strikes Against Inflation - Vincent Reinhart, The American
- Weak Dollars, Weak Presidents - Stephen Moore & John Tamny, Spectator
- How About a North American Currency? - Todd Harrison, MarketWatch
- A Nation of Children, Drowning in Debt - Jim Manzi, Brave New Deal
- Was 2008 Actually A Banner Year? - Casey Mulligan, Economix
- Inflationistas vs Deflationistas, Round Two - Cassandra Does Tokyo
- Stimulus: To Spend or Not To Spend? - Michael Mandel, BusinessWeek
- The Simplest Stimulus Plan yet Introduced - James Hamilton, Econbrowser
- Bottom Hunting: The New Economic Pastime - Rick Newman, Flow Chart