At the Duke Law School panel discussion about the Duke lacrosse rape case on Friday, October 20th, News & Observer managing editor John Drescher reportedly opened his comments by saying that "the N&O broke the story first." An observer at the panel discussion said:
Drescher opened his comments by noting that "the N&O broke the story first" (I think it was the Chronicle actually but Darby didn't call him on it) and that how in their very first article which was triggered by the mass DNA test they noted how unusual that was and tried to give the appearance that they were wise to Nifong from the start. He also said that the N&O hadn't really played up the race/money/gender angle much (barf barf gag gag).The Duke Chronicle published the first news report about the incident. Their story was published on March 21, 2006 - "SUSPECTS IN ALLEGED RAPE UNIDENTIFIED"
One week after a young woman was allegedly raped at 610 N. Buchanan Blvd., the Durham Police Department is still investigating the situation, saying "the suspects have not been clearly identified."Note: It is interesting to remember that Sgt. Gottlieb said the party had included non-Duke men and that "any man that attended the party" would be a viable suspect. The presence of "non-students" at the party was one aspect of the investigation that was never pursued by Durham PD and never explained.
The house, which was recently purchased by University subsidiary Durham Realty, was the site of a party that involved both Duke students and non-students, said Sgt. M.D. Gottlieb of Durham Police District 2 Investigations.
Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president for student affairs and dean of students, said the University will not take action until the police department's investigation is finished.
"From what I understand, the situation is under investigation by the Durham Police Department, and we will await that investigation," she said.
Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, added that the University would take appropriate measures, pending the police investigation.
Gottlieb said any man that attended the party March 13 would be a viable suspect but refused to go into further detail.
The residents of the house have been cooperative with DPD in locating any suspects, he added....
The News & Observer published a story on March 24th in which the Duke lacrosse players were first linked to the incident: "DNA tests ordered for Duke athletes"
Durham police had 46 members of the Duke University lacrosse team DNA-tested Thursday in the suspected gang-rape of a woman at an off-campus party last week.sources:
Police think at least three of the men could be responsible for the sexual assault, beating, robbery and near-strangulation of one of two women who had an appointment to dance at the party March 13, according to a search warrant.
Such a broad DNA sampling early in an investigation is unusual, several local lawyers said.
The assault allegedly happened in a house shared by three members of the men's lacrosse team, Duke officials said...
Suspects in alleged rape unidentified [DukeChronicle.com, March 21, 2006]
DNA tests ordered for Duke athletes [N&O, March 24, 2006]