Judge Kenneth C. 'Solomon' Titus today made a split decision regarding evidence the prosecution can have access to in the Duke lacrosse rape case.
The News & Observer reported:
A judge ruled today that District Attorney Mike Nifong could not have access to Duke University electronic card information that could help track the movement of the lacrosse players not charged in the rape case before and after a team party that resulted in an escort service dancer's accusations. However, Superior Court Judge Kenneth Titus said prosecutors should have access to the home addresses of those students.
Also today, lawyers for Reade Seligmann, 20, of Essex Fells, N.J., one of three players charged, filed a motion asking th judge to move the case along faster. It's a request Titus denied when Seligmann attorney Kirk Osborn asked in a court hearing Monday. In the filing, Osborn and Ernest Conner of Greenville, requested a date to hear two motions to suppress evidence. Titus had previously told Osborn that such motions would not be heard until all the state's evidence had been turned over to the defense.
Judge denies Nifong access to electronic info [NewsandObserver.com, July 21, 2006]
Judge Issues Split Decision In Duke Lacrosse Case [wral.com, July 21, 2006]
Judge Kenneth C. Titus's ruling (2 pages) [wral.com, July 21, 2006]