---Police took a "person of interest" into custody today in connection with the BTK (Bind-Torture-Kill) Wichita Strangler case. Internet message boards are reporting that his name is Dennis Rader. He lives in Park City, Kansas (6 miles north of Wichita) near the intersection of I-135 and 61st Street North, at 6220 N. Independence St.
KAKE-TV reports the "person of interest" being questioned in connection with the BTK case is 59-years-old. Wichita State University records show he graduated in 1979 with a degree in Administration of Justice.
Fox News reports: "Authorities considered him a person of interest in the 1980s, but did not resume investigating him until recently. He is married and 59 year old."
Internet message boards reported the following (unconfirmed information about Mr. Rader):
-"POI has 2 children, male & female, ages 29 and 26, respectively. DOB's 7/75 and 6/78. His wife would have been 3 months pregnant with the girl at the time of Nancy Fox's murder. His wife is 56 y.o."If the suspect does live on N. Independence St. he lived just doors away from murder victim Marine N. Hedge. On April 27, 1985 Marine N. Hedge was abducted from her home at 6254 Independence in Park City. Her body was found .2 miles east of Webb Road on 53rd Street North on May 5, 1985. Although her hands weren't tied, a knotted pair of pantyhose was found nearby. An autopsy showed that Hedge was strangled. The BTK never publicly claimed credit for her murder.
-POI, he was born March 9. 1945. He married May 22, 1971. His son's name is Brian and his daughter's name is Kerri and his wife's maid name is Paula Dietz
-Dennis Rader's middle name is Lynn
John Walsh, host of the television show, America's Most Wanted, told Larry King on CNN tonight that he is 99% sure that the police have the right man.
A news conference is scheduled for 10 a.m. (11 a.m. ET) Saturday, to be attended by police officials, the district attorney, Wichita's mayor and City Council members, the mayor's office said.
Internet information about Mr. Rader:
- Compliance Department Supervisor (with photo) [from ParkCityKS.com website Feb. 25, 2005]
The Compliance Department is a multi-functional department. The Department handles animal control, housing problems, zoning, general permit enforcement and a variety of nuisance cases. The Department currently has two officers.Directory: Compliance Supervisior [ParkCityKS.com, from Feb. 25, 2005]
- The Mission of Christ Lutheran Church website [as of Feb. 25, 2005] lists Dennis Rader as President of the Congregation council. Christ Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, located at 5356 N. Hillside, Wichita, Kansas. News release from Michael G. Clark, Church Pastor, regarding Dennis Rader.
- At a regular meeting of the Board of County Commissioners of Sedgwick County, Kansas, on, April 10, 1996, a resolution was made appointing Dennis Rader to the Sedgwick County Animal Control Advisory Board. He took the oath of office. [link to minutes of meeting]
- At a regular meeting of the Board of County Commissioners of Sedgwick County, Kansas, on, June 10, 1998, Mr. Rader resigned from the Sedgwick County Animal Control Advisory Board. [meeting minutes]
- The Deitz Family Reunion on Sunday, 26 May 1991, on the Fort Hays State University campus in Hays, Kansas listed attendees:
Mr. and Mrs. Dennis L. Rader, Brian and Kerri
- On Jan. 3, 2002 the Ark Valley News reported:
Park City City Hall was closed twice before Christmas due to problems related to the construction of a new addition...Some employees felt woozy the following morning, Whitson said, so Police Chief George Capps evacuated the building. Capps and Compliance Officer Dennis Rader were transported to a Wichita hospital by ambulance, and other employees traveled there by private car.Fumes close Park City City Hall twice [AVN, Jan. 3, 2002]
- The Ark Valley News website has eight more stories that mention Dennis Rader:
- Website for Kerri Rader, Dennis Rader's daughter. [cached from ksu.edu]
-Park City police reports for Jan. 26 - Jan 30, 2005 [AVN, Feb. 3, 2005]
-Park City police reports for Aug. 23-29, 2004 [AVN, Sept. 2, 2004]
-Park City police reports for July 13-19, 2004 [AVN, July 22, 2004]
-Park City police reports for June 8-15, 2004 [AVN, June 17, 2004]
-Park City police reports for April 6-13, 2004 [AVN, April 15, 2004]
-Park City City Council considers change in meeting time [AVN, May 30, 2002]
-Around Park City [AVN, Oct. 4, 2001]
-Outgoing council member blasts mayor's race rumors [AVN, April 12, 2001]
Sources: 'Person of interest' questioned in BTK case [CNN, Feb. 25, 2005]
'Person Of Interest' In BTK Case [CBS News, Feb. 25, 2005]
‘Person of interest’ questioned in BTK killings [MSNBC, Feb. 25, 2005]
Mayor announces BTK news conference [Wichita Eagle, Feb. 25, 2005]
Marine N. Hedge Cold Case [Sedgwickcounty Sheriff]
Map of Area [Park City, KS]
BTK (Bind, Torture, & Kill) Strangler Info [TJN]
updated: Feb. 28, 2005
Dennis L. Rader arrested as Wichita BTK Serial Killer [TJN]