• $2.4B has been lost by U.S. banks in the past year as a result of theft from unauthorized access to checking accounts. $1.2 billion was lost by U.S. banks and credit-card issuers as a result of e-mail phishing attacks in 2003.
Gartner Study Finds Significant Increase in E-Mail Phishing Attacks [gartner.com]
• The Department of Homeland Security has a $36.2 billion budget for 2004. Up 7.4% from 2003. They are asking for $40.2 Billion for 2005. Here is how the money in '04 will be spend:
Border Security - $18 BillionDHS Budget [dhs.gov]
Coast Guard - $6.8 Billion
Emergency perparedness/response - $6.0 Billion
Immigration Services - $1.8 Billion
Information analysis and infrastructure protection - $0.8 Billion
Science & Technology - $0.8 Billion
Other - $1.9 Billion
• INS estimate of the number of illegal immigrants living in the US in 2000: 7.0 million
• Census Bureau estimated the illegal immigrant population was about 8 million in 2000.
• Approximately 78,000 illegal aliens are from countries who are of special concern in the war on terror.
• California had the most illegal residents in January 2000 - an estimated 2.2 million or 32% of the national total.
• The number of illegal immigrants might be growing by half a million a year.
Estimates of Unauthorized Immigrant Population [INS]
Illegal Immigration [Center for Immigration Studies]