So these kids in Indiana had the bright idea of playing dodgeball with pop-bottle rockets. That was until one of them blew his grandmother's toe off.
A 65 year old Bloomfield woman lost a toe when a pop-bottle rocket fired by her grandson exploded on her foot Sunday at his family’s annual Fourth of July picnic.Fourth of July pop-bottle rocket dodgeball game ends in tragedy [Hossier Gazette]
Jonathan L. Reed, a 15 year old honor student and wrestler at Greene County High School, and several friends were firing pop-bottle rockets into the air on Sunday when they decided to play an impromptu game of dodgeball, substituting the fireworks for the traditional rubber or foam ball.
The game went on for several minutes with only minor burns sustained by the participants until Reed accidentally aimed too high and fired a pop-bottle rocket that landed on his grandmother Agnes Clausen’s right foot.
The rocket exploded, mangling Clausen’s middle toe on that foot