Viral Hepatitis comes in five forms: A,B,C,D, & E. Four million Americans are infected with hepatitis C, which kills as many as 10,000 yearly. There is no cure.
Recent studies have shown that the Hepatitis C virus or HCV can survive outside the body and still transmit infection for 16 hours, but not longer than 4 days. Compare this to the "fragile" HIV virus that does not survive more than a few minutes outside the body.
The following celebrities have or had Hepatitis C:
- Pamela Anderson: "Baywatch" TV star
- Rolf Benirschke: football player-San Diego
- David Crosby: rock star
- Willie Dixon: blues musician (died 1992)
- Freddy Fender: singer
- Allen Ginsberg: poet laureate (died 1997)
- "Superstar" Billy Graham: WWF wrestling champion
- Larry Hagman: "Dallas" TV star
- Dusty Hill: ZZTop bass player
- Stormie Jones: 1st heart+liver transplant recipient (died 1990)
- Naomi Judd: Country singer
- Ken Kesey: author- "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (died 2001)
- Evel Knievel: motorcycle daredevil
- Phil Lesh: Grateful Dead bass player
- Lance Loud: TV actor/journalist-PBS "An American Family"
- Linda Lovelace: "Deep Throat" porn star (died 2002)
- Jack Kevorkian: "Doctor Death"
- Mickey Mantle: baseball player (died 1995)
- Benito Mussolini: Italian dictator
- Chuck Negron: singer (Three Dog Night: "Joy to the World")
- James Earl Ray: assassin of Martin Luther King Jr.(died 1998)
- Frank Reynolds: ABC news anchor (died 1981)