Al Franken's new radio show "The O’ Franken Factor" (www.ofrankenfactor.com) on Air America Radio premiered today (12:00-3:00pm), here is some of what was talked about:
• Call from G. Gordon Liddy (on air with his own radio show). Al & "G" are friends and respect each other, even though they're political opposites. Al mentioned his "Nixon Bathroom" - decorated with Nixon memorabilia.
• David Sirota from the Center for American Progress replays tape of Donald Rumsfeld being caught in a lie on "Meet The Press." Mention their website which tracks Bush Administration lies. They will be a frequent guest on the show.
• Comedy bit with Bob Elliott from the old "The Bob and Ray" show.
• Ben Stein called to wish Al all the best as he tries to destroy capitalism.
• Interview with Bob Kerrey: member of 9-11 commission, former Kansas Senator, and President of New School University in New York City.
-Osama bin Laden declared war on the United States on February 23, 1998
-related link: Here is bin Laden's actual declaration of war: Jihad Against Jews and Crusaders
-First Attack by al-Qaeda: On August 7, 1998, the United States embassies in the East African cities of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and Nairobi, Kenya were severely damaged in nearly simultaneous truck bomb attacks.
-Why did the administration want the 9-11 commission's report out before the election? Report undoubtedly will become political fodder.
-Report will very likely have criticism for both Clinton and Bush Administrations.
-Why were members of the bin Laden family allowed to leave the US by the Bush Administration when all other flights were grounded?
• Interview with Rapper Chuck D of "Public Enemy" co-host of "Unfiltered" radio show on Air America
-Mentioned National Hip Hop Political Convention: June 16-19, 2004; Newark, New Jersey
-Chuck D might be doing a Hip Hop Countdown.
• Interview with Michael Moore:
-Al and Michael have a mutual admiration society
-Michael Moore's last line of Academy Awards speech was cut off- "An Apology to Bush Family".
-Bush Family and Saudi Royal Family longtime ties discussed.
-Reads one his email from a US Army Captain in Iraq-critical of current administration
-Talks to caller with question about Iraqi deaths
-Reads email from US soldier in Iraq saying troop moral is not high and they don't understand their mission
-Bush AWOL from Alabama Air National Guard story
-Majority of Americans are really Liberal (just don't use the word because it's now a perjorative term)
-Al Gore called; Michael Moore bemoans Bush stealing 2000 election and Ralph Nader's role in tipping the election. Happy Birthday to Al Gore (born March 31, 1948).
-Al Gore will visit Al Franken's show. Gore is trying to start his own TV network?
• Al calls some old friends from Minnesota
• Al calls his daughter who teaches school at PS 86 in NYC and speaks with her principal.
Running gag: Liberal-hater and righty flame thrower Ann Coulter being held prisoner in Green Room. (played by Bebe Neuwirth)
Some OFrankenFactor Advertisers: XM Satellite Radio, Vanguard Mutual Funds, Coldwell Banker Real Estate, Advil
Lefty Radio In Attack Mode
On air, off-balance - On Wednesday, the new liberal radio network goes live. But just days ago in rehearsal, the glitches were many.[Chicago Tribune-free subscription]
• Bernard Goldberg on CNBC, Wednesday(31st), doesn't think much of Air America or Al Franken's chances of succeeding. Who needs another megaphone from Left Field when you have the NY Times, NPR, LA Times and other mainstream liberal media organzations.
• Bloomberg reports Air America will be charging from $1,800 to $1875 per minute of advertising on Franken's show. A small fraction of Limbaugh's $16,000 per minute. They've already sold $1.2 million.
• Did Senator Kerrey make a gaping factual error when he said Osama bin Laden declared war on the US on February 23, 1998? [see The Johnsville News April 5th posting: "When did Osama bin Laden Declare War on the USA?"]
Wednesday, March 31, 2004