1. The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man or take unfair advantage.
2. He must never go back on his word or a trust confided in him.
3. He must always tell the truth.
4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly and animals.
5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
6. He must help people in distress.
7. He must be a good worker.
8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action and personal habits.
9. He must respect women, parents and his nation's laws.
10. The Cowboy is a patriot.
Gene Autry's Cowboy Commandments, 1939
True West - Not even an HBO series (Deadwood) can kill off the mythic cowboy western [NYTimes Mag]
Saturday, March 20, 2004